2 Aug 2010

Sweetbread isn't really bread...!

I was never really told or exposed to the wonders of sweetbread before this meal. Also, because the boyf has a tendency to cook things and make me eat them first before telling me what it is!

So when I was told we were gonna have sweetbread, I thought he was gonna literally make bread....



And then I saw this thing that looked like a brain...I was like "oh dear..." So course I went for the less brainy-looking one - breadcrumbed sweetbread - and surprisingly it tasted pretty good~! The non-crumbed one tasted...like...organs (specifically powdery liver)-_- I preferred the crumbed sweetbread as it was less rich and iron/metallic tasting...


*Sweetbreads or ris are culinary names for the thyroid (throat sweetbread) and the thymus (heart or stomach sweetbread), especially of the calf (ris de veau) and lamb (ris d'agneau) (although beef and pork sweetbreads are also eaten).


Looks like brains to me...don't you think so?

Accompanied with apple sauce and some fresh rocket, it wasn't so bad...

Another one of my classic favourite is cauliflower and cheese (I guessed it was made in case I didn't like the sweetbread...) Nicely baked on top and creamy inside...yummmm...oh and organic baby carrots from our vege patch! super schweeeeeeeet!

Non-meat lovers can skip this bit as the main dish was white veal. Crumbed and accompanied with lots of mushroom and fried potatoes, it was a match made in heaven...

The meat was cooked to perfection...as soon as I put it in my mouth, the tender meat and the juicy, sweet flavours gave me goosebumps!

Accompaniments...Don't ask me what the wine was like because I'm better at remembering the meal than the wines! However, I did remember that the wine was very smooth (due to the age) as the tannins have mostly settled...

I think I might need to start adding wine reviews in here as most of my meals now come with a glass or two! Well, sometimes a bottle or two! xxx

Updated: My sommelier (aka the boyf) called me a philistine as I said above that I didn't know what I was drinking. So here's what we matched our meals with: Esk Valley Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 and Vidal Wines Soler Syrah 2004. Tasting notes will rear its head once in awhile in future blogs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment