6 Aug 2010

CookingIn: RendangTerlagi-Lagi

Who doesn't love rendang? We all have a soft spot for rendang. My fondest memories of rendang is best shared with my friends at their homes made with love by their mothers/grandmothers! 

I think Hazreen can relate to this as I think I have been to his home for the past 5 years for Hari Raya and I've always stayed for a minimum 3 hours just eating his mother and sisters' lovely cooking!*Hazreen you still owe me some recipes!*

Rendang recipes are usually passed down through generations and it's sometimes hard to get exact measurements and cooking it becomes instinctive/gut feel.

Gung ho with my Malaysian cookbook, we decided to try out the Rendang Terlagi-lagi recipe. The explanation in the book say its called that because you always ask for more hence terlagi-lagi...

The amount of shallots, dried chillies, lemongrass, garlic and ginger that goes into this = BLOODY HARD WORK!

Good ol' premium NZ beef frying in the wok which I delivered from Malaysia (yes, all my cooking utensils arrived safely too!)

Simmering in the fresh grounded ingredients for about 4 hours...

As rendang tastes better after a few days (for the flavours to settle) we finally got a taste two days after - which was our big saturday brunch. Made fresh nasi lemak (rice cooked in coconut cream) with fried ikan bilis (anchovies) AND of course the runny egg...om nom nom, I say!

Yeah, so it didn't turn out like the picture in the book (which was a redder version) but it was sure damn tasty. Verdict? I give it 9 out of 10 first attempt!

The beauty of rendang? It lasts for a few weeks and I we had 3 meals with it! It gets better every time!

Happy weekend ahead everyone! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment